Wow, it's been a long time since I've updated the blog. So much to share....
So I'll start with what would be my last doctors appointment @ 39 weeks preggo...no change so the doc had informed me that at the 40 week appointment I would have to schedule an induction. Words can't describe how devastated I was leaving that appointment. I felt very strongly that Ayla and God should decide when she was born, not my doctor and me. But Robby held strong and assured me that he didn't feel it would get to that point.
So that Thursday night we went to Walmart and bought evening primrose capsules...I woke up at 3:30 am (which hadn't been unsual) feeling a little "crampy" I thought they were just braxton hicks contractions so I had a snack and went back to sleep. Still feeling crampy I went to work. Robby was off that day and that turned out to be fortuitus (sp?). While at work I kept getting the feeling that I should be walking around so I did. I was not in any pain just felt the need to keep my feet moving. I went home and had lunch with Robby, I even contemplated staying home at that point because I thought, if I go into labor over the weekend I need my rest.
Fast forward 2 hours (@ 3:12pm)back at my desk...I was just sitting there working on a project when I felt a HUGE gush and then another and then another... I instantly knew it was my water breaking. I was surged with adrenanline. I called Robby to come get me, I thought I could drive but also didn't think that was a smart idea. I was still not in any pain, just crampy. I called my mom, she left work, got my dad and they started their trip here from Tennessee.
Robby and I went home, by the time I got there contractions had started, no big deal though. Robby got the car loaded up, made dinner and then we took a short nap/ rest.
By 7:20pm the contractions were pretty strong and frequent but we were managing just fine. At 8:15 Lin Cook (our doula) showed up and helped us get through more contractions. It was so wonderful being home, I was as relaxed as I could be. At one point Lin suggested that we go into Ayla's room and go thru some contractions in her room. I rememeber leaning over her crib at one point trying to imagine the big change that was about to happen in my life. That was a precious moment in my life because I was so focused on meeting our little girl in a drug free way and giving her the best possible start.
We left for the hospital at about 9:30 or so at Lin's suggestion. She could see my mood shifted to a very serious "working" mode to get thru each contraction. I could not have done the whole process without her and of course Robby.
The short 10 minute ride to the hospital was tough, but I did it. I just kept telling Robby to drive faster because I needed to walk around and not sit down. When we got to the ER, we went straight upstairs to the maternity ward. I got changed, was on the monitor for just a few minutes, checked and turned loose to walk or do whatever to help this labor move along. When I got there I was 5cm dilated and 100% effaced. Great news! So we walked the halls, bounced on the exercise ball, you name it we did it. My parents arrived at East Cooper Hosptial around 11pm, great timing on their part. By midnight, I was 8cm dilated and working very hard. I do not honestly rememeber pain, just that I had to concentrate to get thru each contraction then spend the downtime regrouping.
Then my contractions all but stopped at about 1:45am...disappointing. But somehow we got them going again and I started to push around 3am. Ayla was having a hard time getting underneath the pubic bone...hard work and running out of gas...
The nurse and Lin suggested pitocin to give my contractions the "umph" needed to get her under the bone and out. I did it b/c I feared a C-section was coming since it had now been 12 hours since my water had broke.
By 4:15am the pit was in and at 5:11am Ayla was out!!! What a memorable experience.
All the months of preparation were done, I was holding Ayla - a living breathing person that I just birthed. Wow, Robby and I had never been happier!
She breast fed right away and was just wonderful. We went home the next afternoon and our dream of being a family was realized.
No comments:
Post a Comment